Dr. Gayle Nelson
Artist, Instructional Designer, Art Instructor, Trainer, Ed.D. Higher Education Adult Learning
Combining extensive education and 15+ years in education, I grow teams, serve faculty, teach students, and ensure success.
Ed.D. Higher Education Adult Learning Walden University, MN Graduated 2018
Doctoral Project Study: Perceptions About Hands-On Art Making by Non-Art Major Online Students
M.A. Illustration Syracuse University, NY Graduated 2004
Thesis: Printmaking - Contemporary American Printmakers and their Contributions to the Field of Illustration.
B.S. Art Troy State University AL Graduated 2001
Relevant Skillset & Experience
Instructional Design, Training, and Online Education
- 15+ years’ experience directing teams of designers and trainers at the director level
- Established new procedures and training programs for improved efficiency and quality of product
- Served as academic and course mentor for new instructors
- Designed professional development training series for online instructors.
Directed and developed multiple courses:
- New Student Orientation course
- Graduate Orientation course
- Am I Prepared for Online Learning? self-assessment
- How Blackboard Works/How Students Learn at eTROY
- Teaching Online Proficiency
- 15+ years in designing and teaching Visual Art and Integrating Art courses
- Experienced in teaching in class, online, and hybrid environments
Graphics and Creative Design
- Longtime artist –Nelson Illustration: nelsonillustration.com
- Experience as Art Director and Art & Graphics Operations Manager
Troy University, Troy, AL 2002 - Present
Director of Operations & Instructional Design– 2002-2011
- Built the online learning component at Troy, assisting 500+ online instructors every term with 600+ virtual courses;
- Team directed annual faculty Colloquium, coordinating 3-day workshop and sessions, transforming face to face Colloquium to a virtual webinar;
- Enrollments doubled and sponsorship dollars replaced the $30k on-ground costs to $0 in expenses for the University and provided high quality industry speakers;
- Launched a professional development series for 1,000+ faculty and adjunct instructors.
Lead Designer – 2011-2014
- Team committee course redesign and development of class templates based on departments’ learning objectives;
- Individual one-on-one course design and preparation with instructors in conjunction with college directives.
Adjunct Instructor, Visual Arts - 2004-current
- Currently teach online, 5 terms per year, 25-40 students per term;
- Term course builds using Blackboard and Canvas platforms.
Awards, Certifications, & Publications
Walden Scholars of Change – 2013, Haiti work with doctoral classmate to assist in launching elementary school.
Quality Matters Peer Reviewer Certification – 2012, Certification for quality assurance.
Prosci Change Management Certification – 2007, Certification for organizational change management.
Distance Learning China-US Forum on DL – 2007, Development of successful study-abroad partnerships.
The Society of Illustrators – 2004, Promotion of art and appreciation of illustration.
Books and Exhibits:
My Name is EzelL, Writer/Illustrator – 2012, Narrative and illustrations for book on the Haiti earthquake.
AL the Nutty Astronaut, Co-Illustrator – 2011, Co-illustrated comic character “AL”
The Lisco Swamper, Illustrator – 2004, Six engraved illustrations for folk book.
Syracuse University Magazine, Illustrator – 2004, Byodo-in Temple, Oahu, engraving for magazine.
AOP (Association of Photographers) Gallery Show, London, Sublime: Representations of Awe in Contemporary Imagery - January, 2006, Photo of Pascagoula home: Do Not Allow Katrina to Steal Your Joy.
Lowe Gallery of Art, Syracuse, NY, Engraved Impressions in Print, July 30-August 14, 2004, Student body of illustrative art work for MA thesis.
WMA Gallery Exhibit, Dothan, AL, Journeys, June 9-July 22, 2001, Gallery show of my artwork in multiple mediums.